Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Week 5 Reflection

I started taking this class because I needed to so I can advance in my current job and learning more about different approaches.  I never really thought of myself going into the world of human service as I know they are overworked and underpaid. But I currently find myself in this the field and I enjoy every moment. Watching someone achieve their personal goals gives me a great satiation knowing that with a little assistance the individual is able to do so. It really makes me a have a better outlook on the human life. 

Case management is a balancing act. There is no way around it. Someone is letting you into their life in hopes that you can help them in any way possible so they can have a better outcome. But when someone lets you into their life they don’t necessarily give you an owner’s manual or a how to guide. It is nothing more than trial and error in hopes that there won’t be too many errors.

The company you work for will give you the guidelines but that still doesn’t tell you everything you will need to know to be successful. This class has provided more useful information then I thought it was going to and we are only in week five.  The things I have learned so far are not only going to be useful in my professional career but also my personal life. The knowledge of how to defuse an angry situation with talking will be a bonus with my three year old. I just hope he gets what I am trying to do without getting too upset lol.

I can’t wait to see what other things I will learn from this class to assist me in either my professional or personal life. The resources that are coming out of this class are amazing!.  

2 comments:

  1. Alysha, you have shared interesting thoughts to consider in this field. Glad to see that while you found yourself enjoying yourself while working with clients. Human services and case management longevity require a sense of enjoyment and desire to be there.
    While there are some trial and error in case management, simply due to the nature of the work. We also must be educated, trained, and familiar with working ethical guidelines. Our profession and commitment to the clients demand quality care.
    Say more about the amazing resources you found in this course.
    Be well
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Case management is a balancing act. There is no way around it. Someone is letting you into their life in hopes that you can help them in any way possible so they can have a better outcome. But when someone lets you into their life they don’t necessarily give you an owner’s manual or a how to guide. It is nothing more than trial and error in hopes that there won’t be too many errors."
    Wow! what a powerful statement, and so true! Another thing we need to remember is that we are not super human and there are going to be times when we are unable to help our clients, they may become mad ate us, or we have conflicting opinions. I feel that most people that become case managers are people that want to fix everything, and failing is hard to take. We as CM will need to except failure sometimes, no matter how hard it is to swallow.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete