Monday, March 7, 2011

Reflective Listening / Empathy

This week we have been discussing reflective listening and responding in a way that actually helps the client. We also learned the importance reflective listening plays in Case Management. It was great to see what everyone had to say about it and there examples. I can't wait to use these new skills in real life as I know I don't do well with reflective listening as I have a tendences to space out.
I also learned a lot about empathy. I have been told many times in the past this is something I need to work on because there are times I think people would rather be babyed then just work out their problems. I know this isn't the truth about everyone but before I came into this line of work that was my impression. I am glad that I have been able to open my eyes to real needs but I also know at times I lack empathy.

2 comments:

  1. Alysha, thanks for your honesty. Amazing how much one can learn about themselves in a course such as this. Empathy is a necessary component in this line of work. However, "tough love" can be useful. Enabling doesn't always take us to where we want to go.
    Good thoughts. Thanks for sharing.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good thing is that empathy is a skill that can be learned. Perhaps you don't lack it, but people percieve you as lacking it because of your tone or body language

    ReplyDelete